Utility Services

Changes to Service

Customers who wish to start, stop or transfer water services must contact Utility Billing at 512-446-2511 during normal business hours.

Start Service

Start-up of new service must be done in person. You must present a valid photo ID, complete a utility services contract and pay a deposit and inspection fee. If your request is made after 3 p.m, your service will be connected the following day. To start service, come to the the Utility Billing office at 505 W Cameron Avenue during regular business hours.

Transfer Service

Transfer of service must also be done in person. You must complete a utility services contract and present a valid photo ID.

Stop / Disconnect Service

You may stop or disconnect service by phone or in person. Deposits will be applied to the balance on the final bill. Please provide a forwarding address for the final bill and possible refund due.

Reconnect Service

Reconnection requests must be received before 3 p.m. for same-day service. Call the Utility Billing Services at 512-446-2511 to inquire about any fees associated with the service.


View the Fee Schedule (PDF) for water and wastewater rates.

Customer's Right to Request Disclosure

Pursuant to Section 552.1331 of the Texas Government Code, with certain exceptions, the City of Rockdale may not disclose personal information in a customer's utility account record, or any information relating to the volume or units of utility usage or the amounts billed to or collected from the individual for utility usage, unless the customer requests that the City disclose the information.  This includes information that reveals whether an account is delinquent or eligible for disconnection, or if services have been discontinued by the government-operated utility.  In order to request disclosure or any such information or to rescind a previous disclosure authorization, an authorized account holder must complete the Notice of Customer's Right to Request Disclosure form and submit the completed form to City Hall.